Prasthaaram: Prasthaaram(also spelled as Prastara) is calculation of groups of tala syllables in different angles for the purpose of easy tabulation. Prastara means 'Permutation'. The permutation of finite and infinite kinds of Swara or Tala is known as "Prastara". With the help of Prastara one can determine the structure and serial number of a phrase or tala. There are ten kinds of Prasthaaram.
1. Nashtam: Group of Syllables form a "word". For example, "Thakathimi" is a group of syllables. Finding out how many such groups have occurred in that series of Avarthanas is called Nashta Prasthaaram.
2.Uthishtam: Finding out (in the same series above) the rank of the particular group of syllables is called Uithishtam. That is finding the ordinal of the particular group including repetition of the particular group in a series of Avarthna is Uthishta.
3. Paathaalam: Finding out how many times the shortest group of syllables has occurred is called Paathaala Prasthaaram.
4. Drutha Meru: Finding out how many times Dhrutham has occurred is called Dhrutha Meru.
5. Lagu Meru: Finding out how many times Lagu has occurred is called Lagu Meru.
6. Guru Meru: Finding out how many times Guru has occurred is called Guru Meru.
7. Plutha Meru: Finding out how many times Plutham has occurred is called Plutha Meru.
8. Samyoga Meru: Finding out how many Angas of equal number of syllables have come in a prasthaaram is called Samyoga Meru.
9. Kanta Prasthaaram: Interchanging the order of angas (without affecting its structure) while keeping the same sub units (matharas) and Aksharas within the series of Avarthanas is called Kanda Prasthaaram.
10. Yathi Prasthaaram: Calculation of such symmetrical phrases of Tala Syllables mentioned in the heading "Yathi" is Yathi Prasthaaram.
Please Note: The explanation of the 10th element of Tala dasa Pranas "Prastara" in this page (explained above) is given in simple terms without incorporating deep technical aspects of it. Definitely, "Prastara" and its interpretation will be updated to the best level in detail in course of time.
Copyright © 2007 Read our terms and conditions